RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Mayne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 18:07:47 -0500

> Rex The Brixman commented:
> | I read Jo's original post three times and still can't see this point.
> |Actually,
> | each re-read makes the post sound more like a truly sincere attempt to end a
> | bitter squabble that is doing no one any good at this point.
>
> Jo confirms:
> Yup, that was my attempt. Still is. I'm not going to get into Christian
> ethics and all that "turn the other cheek" stuff, but is there a way of
> approaching NFL, and NFL approaching this camp, that could be acceptable to
> both sides? Wouldn't that be a far better question to ask than "how do we
> make these people look bad?"

David:

Hello Jo,

In the past on this list, attempts have been made to find a way to
carry on constructive dialogue with NFL - unfortunately, all were
failures, and as Tom has pointed out, the moderater was left with
no other choice but to kick them off of the list, for the sake of
the list's integrity. While I admire your intentions in attempting
to bring an end to such a rift, I feel that reconciliation is, by
its very nature, a two way street, at least to a degree. Raw-food
would not be the quality of environment that we enjoy today if "the
other cheek" remains steadfastly turned regardless of the behavoir
of the participants, IMO.

NFL are welcome to rejoin this list (and have always been as far as
I know), under the condition that they agree to keep their posts
civil, and be at least somewhat accountable for claims that are
expressed as facts or truths - these are the same basic qualities
that are asked of all members who subscribe, as detailed in the
welcome notice, and I certainly don't feel that basic civility is
such a stringent requirement for participation. As such, it is my
opinion that the ball is now in NFL's (and their supporters) court
to make the next step if reconcialition is the goal - what offerings
of goodwill can we possibly extend, other than openning
membership back up to them under the same conditions that all of
the other subscribers agree to adhere ? What more can we offer
them now, even as the hatred and threats continue ?

I am disturbed, but not very shocked at the revelations that David
Wolfe has recently hinted at physical harm to one of our prolific
and well respected list members. There are no signs of reconciliation
in these actions - quite the contrary. Again, while your intentions
appear to me to be noble, I believe that NFL and supporters need to
make a fundamental shift in their values internally and actions
externally before perceptions of NFL by many both in and outside
of the raw food community improve, if that is indeed the goal.
NFL has the opportunity with this forumn, nobody here is stopping them
other than asking them to abide by the same basic considerations that
all participants are doing. Granted, they have a long road ahead in
mending fences on raw-food and in the community, if that is a course
that they choose to take.

Regards,

David