RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Aaron Sugarman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 13:53:53 EDT
Jerry,

<< however, flax seed oil and other vegetable source oils provide all the oils
 essiential to human health, and do not have the dangers of meat sources, as
in  parasites, viruses and toxins. >>

Jerry,

Again that is Assuming that humans do not need preformed long-chain fatty
acids in their food sources.  It is my understanding that all primates which
naturally consume insects (a sizable amount) or meats get preformed long-chain
fatty acids from outside sources.  Even my dog eats insects.

Flax seed and other vegetables oils do not have preformed long-chain fatty
acids, they contain precursors which the body may or may not be able to use in
order to produce enough long-chain fatty acids for the body/brain's needs.

For example, a study at the Aalburg Hospital in Denmark compared cod liver oil
to flax oil to determine the body's ability to produce EPA. A volunteer was
given a tablespoon of cod-liver oil, three times a day, for one week. At the
end of the week, a ten-fold increase in the EPA content of blood fats had
occurred. Two months later, the same individual was given an equal dosage of
linseed oil three times a day for a week. At the end of the week, the
individual showed only insignificant increases in EPA.

As you know EPA helps the body to form prostaglandins which are hormones that
regulate biological activities including the production of blood platelets. If
EPA is not present in the diet, platelets can clog arteries which as we know
can prove fatal. Prostaglandins formed from EPA also keep arteries optimally
dilated so that blood FLOWS. A lack of the prostaglandins formed from EPA has
been implicated in long-term development of atherosclerosis, heart attacks,
strokes, and sudden cardiac death.

I imagine if that person were acutely deficient in EPA, flax oil would not
have helped and that person may not have been advised to WAIT several months
to see if his/her body could develop an ability to synthesize adequate EPA
from flax oil.  Rather, that person would have been advised to eat fish or
take cod liver oil, which is something you might find yourself doing after
another decade on your diet, perhaps.  For your sake, though, I hope you
continue to be succesful!

Are you on this list for you, or for us?  If you aren't aware of your own
selfish motives, consider that you are here to work through your own healthy
doubts about your own diet.  I am aware that I am both here to learn, and
share.  I am not out to convert anyone, but rather encourage them to follow
their own instincts, as I follow mine.

Jerry,

It may be entirely possible that you and all vegans merely utilize your own
stores of preformed long chain fatty acids.  Some of you become deficient,
noticeably, whereas others might not.  Might depend on the quality of mom's
milk and your past diet.  And again, after generation upon generation, the
quality of vegan milk might decrease if the body is not able to synthesize
adequate amounts of preformed long chain fatty acids necessary to produce the
uniquely large human brain.  This has serious consequences.

But that's only theory ;)

Aaron