RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Janis Callen Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 22:59:55 -0400
Can anyone tell me what is the significance of an orangish stool color and
slightly orange urine which I have seen in my dog over the last 3 days?

I've gotten 3 explanations from health care professionals, namely:

regular vet 1] normal when dogs take shark cartilage

naturopath 2] a sign of the liver starting to work properly with the bile
flowing -- the bilirubin coloring the stool

holistic vet 3] indication that the body is consuming many red blood cells
which the liver and kidneys have to metabolize; [confirmation in the fact
that she has become slightly anemic and has actually had a huge drop in RBC
over the course of a week]

To add to the confusion, my physiology book says that when stools take on a
lighter color it is a sign that the liver/gallbladder/pancreas is not
functioning properly.

Any substantive information would be greatly appreciated.  Her diet over the
past 3 days has been only water.  Before that she was gorging herself on a
monodiet for 4 days of raw bovine tripe.  Gained some weight to prepare for
this fast, I guess.

Janis <[log in to unmask]>