RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 00:14:19 -0500
Peter:
>Eat 3 meals a day with at least 4 hours between meals, the last meal no
less than 4 >hours before bedtime, try to make each meal evenly
proportioned in macro nutrients and >when not, eat your carbs earlier in
the day and keep your proteins for the last meal, >avoid concentrated carbs
(starches) and fats at the same sitting + keep them both at >moderate
levels if both are included in your diet.

I can see you are all dying to know ;-) but in case any of you have any
doubts of what I am driving at, the rationale for all of the above
recommendations is to avoid elevated levels of insulin in the blood that
will tend to block the action and production of other important hormones in
the body (growth hormone etc.) and have other negative effects such as
storing calories as fat. I do not have any real understanding of the
biochemistry behind the mechanisms of these principles and many of those
who do, disagree on many of them.  It makes a lot of sense to me, though,
that if we eat a lot fat with concentrated carbs that the surge of insulin
induced by the carbs will cause the fat to be stored and not burned.  It is
also a fairly established fact that insulin has an antagonistic effect on
other hormones which is why grazing or eating late at night might not be a
good idea, and why eating meals that are balanced in macro nutrients makes
sense at least until our overreactive pancreas can get a chance to
recuperate from years of (refined) carb/sugar misuse.  Finally, the reason
for trying to keep the proteins for the last meal of the day is so the
proteins can be used to nourish the endocrine system in the body's anabolic
phase and not be used for fuel if consumed earlier.

Any comments to the ideas above are welcome.

Best, Peter