RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 15:38:45 -0700
while we're talking about Arnold "the wacko extremist" Ehret - also
known as "mucus boy" :-), let me relate an anecdote.

Back in the 1970's I was an Ehret-inspired fruitarian, emaciated,
and fearful of the "evil demons" of mucus and protein. In retrospect,
it was all quite silly and naive of me - but unfortunately, there are
many in the same trap today, though instead they fear the "evil demons"
of cooked food and/or protein. (Such folks deserve help - unfortunately,
many of them, in my opinion and experience, are mentally toxic and/or
mentally unbalanced - they reject help).

Anyway, getting back to Ehretism. There I was, an emaciated anti-mucus
fruitarian with the symptoms of excess sugar consumption, but with the
delusionary mindset (common in today's fruitarians) that fruitarianism,
by purifying my body of the evil demon of mucus, was the road to "paradise
health". In contrast, my brother was a meat eater and muscled weightlifter,
able to lift me up with one hand, and throw me a distance (I was
~115 pounds at 6 feet 1 inch; we used to wrestle in the surf -
needless to say I didn't win, but he would throw me into the oncoming
waves and it was fun). Anyway, an album by Rolling Stone came out
back then - I think it was titled "Goat's Head Soup". There was a photo/
artwork on the inside cover of that album, that my brother teased me about.
It was of  a deformed, bizarre looking creature. My brother said that (the
deformed beast) is what one will look like after one follows a
mucus-less diet such as Ehret promoted.

At the time such teasing disturbed me; but in retrospect, perhaps
my brother was right? :-) We have seen examples on this list of folks,
including fruitarians, who invest far too much "psychological capital"
in their lunch.

By the way, I'm not a fan of the Rolling Stones - the album belonged to
a mutual friend, who was also a fan of Frank Zappa and the Mothers
of Invention.

P.S. I have never told the above story before - this is the first
public "release".

P.S. #2 thanks to David Mayne for the info on Ehret's passing. It appears
that it wasn't consumption after all.

Tom Billings