RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:44:20 -0500
Ellie Rotunno wrote partially in response to a wise crack by me that I was
going to check my coconut for a sugar injection hole:

> I found a fairly big sized puncture in the bottom of one of the coconuts
> encased in the fibrous containers that look like little huts...the ones I
> bought in China town. The milk tasted almost too good.

Ellie, I was making a funny.  Pardon me for not putting the smiley at the
end.  Please tell me that you've read my comment that putting sugar in a
fruit juice does *not* improve the flavor in the sense of improving the
Brix.  Every time I've experimented with adding sugar to fresh fruit or
vegetable juice, the result has tasted yuckky.  My thought is that you've got
a really good coconut if it tastes really good.  A refractometer is only
useful in as far as it validates your tastes.  For instance, it cannot easily
detect the nitrate bitterness in greens that were harvested at the wrong
time.

One day, assuming there is an audience for such, I'll talk a little about
using plain white sugar as an energy-generating ingredient in home-brewed
foliar feeds for field spraying plants.  However, white sugar is poisonous
(best word I can think of) for most every other use.

Regards,
Rex Harrill