RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christopher Morrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 13:30:26 -0800
My favorite nutrition book is /Traditional Foods are Your Best
Medicine:  Improving Health and Longevity with Native Nutrition/, by
Ronald F. Schmid, N.D. (Healing Arts Press, 1997, 270 pages, $14.95).
Schmid doesn't advocate instinctive eating, but does lay out the
scientific evidence that humans need a full-spectrum diet of whole, raw
natural foods, including animal-source foods.  His summary of the work
of Weston Price is clearer than Price's own writings.  This book is
readily available.

Also check out /Nourishing Traditions:  The Cookbook that Challenges
Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats/, by Sally Fallon
with Pat Connolly and Mary G. Enig; ProMotion Publishing, 1995, 618
pages, $22.95.  Ignore the recipes; the concise nutritional introduction
is an antidote to the trendy notion that fatty meats and eggs are bad
for us.  You can order this book from Price Pottenger Nutrition
Foundation, PO Box 2614, La Mesa, CA 91943-2614; 619-574-PPNF.

Evidence of our carnivorous evolutionary heritage is in /The Paleolithic
Prescription/, by S. Boyd Eaton and others (Harper & Row, 1988, 306
pages; out of print).  The authors give dietary advice that is pretty
tame by Instincto standards; but it's obvious that our truly optimum
diet is one of whole, raw foods including animal-source foods, just as
recommended by Schmid.

I still like /Instinctive Eating:  The Lost Knowledge of Optimum
Nutrition/, by Zephyr (1996, 157 pages, $15.00).  This little book makes
up in youthful enthusiasm what it lacks in writing style and scientific
rigor.  Available from Pan Piper Press, POB 426, Summerland, CA 93067.

C.