From:
"K.A.W. • D.R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:07:32 -0800
Jean:

> On 20 Feb 98 at 9:38, Craig Atkisson wrote:
> <SNIP>.I called Compusa (just for kicks) and they
> > where $69.97....a minmum of 3 hrs, I also called a a local store in
Just a comment on your EXCELLENT tech-service analysis posted on PCBUILD

You've "got it down" as they say. The one thing that puzzles me is your
#1 Retail Stores.  The techies out here in Calif. get $25-60/hr, the
stores,
of course marking it up 2x or 3x (CompUSA, e.g., *charges* $89.95/hr for
something as simple as copying the contents of an old HD to a
newly-installed unit).  I'm amazed that anyone with the expertise to
*be*
a full-time tech in a store would work for that little - It would be so
simple to set up a private fix-it consultancy service, especially in the
relative boondocks (beautiful country, nonetheless). The demand should
certainly be there, especially with the incredible drop in system
prices.

> 1). Retail Store(s), drop-off /$60 - $150 per hour  (who pay their bench
> techies $8 - $ 12 per hour and have labor force turnover every six
> months.  "Who worked on this system?  Wasn't it Bill,  oh no,  I mean
> maybe Phil,  I think??  Or was it Jill???").
> 2). My guru ([log in to unmask]), local Vo_Tech Instructor & Author,
> on-site or drop-off / $75 per hour (plus travel time or S/H UPS) who
> lives in State College & does the work himself, (and who is willing to
> let you watch him work & will explain things to you in the context of the
> work he is performing).
If there were a world full of people like that, the USA wouldn't be
lagging behind 3rd-world nations in literacy!

> 3). Penn State student, on-site /$25 per hour plus pizza & beer (but
> (s)he may be gone by the time problems appear.
And often there's a bad case of "I'm collegiate, ergo, I know all" (even
though they seem to need remedial reading and math to get to sophomore).
> 4). Someone who "taught myself computers,  just printed up business
> cards, and can't believe I'm actually making money doing this." /$However
> little you can haggle him or her down to!
Now be nice! You're talking about me, without the business cards or
money.
> The important thing is to know how important your computer is to you/your
> business/your family, and then follow the ancient rule, "CAVEAT EMPTOR"
> (Let the Buyer Beware)!
Kinda reminds me of finding an "honest" car dealer or mechanic.  ;^D
> Shop around,  ask ten (10) friends/relatives/business contacts in the
> local community who they use and can rely on.  Disregard any comments
> which sound like carping that someone paid too much,  and then found out
> they could have got "the same service for much less!"  Then find your
> local "guru" and form a long lasting relationship with him or her,  and
> never, never ask for "freebies" nor call-up and expect an answer for free
> when you say, "I just need to ask you one question, blah,blah,blah!"
One source you didn't mention is local "users groups", many of which
will
have numerous genuine gurus as members.
> If I can't get an answer from one of the lists I subscribe to or off the
> web, I call my "guru" and start off by saying,  "I'm on the clock with
> you as of right now,  so start your meter running.  I need to know,
> etc., etc."  And I never begrudge him his fees,  even if the solution
> doesn't work right,  because,  invariably,  I discover that I didn't
> listen carefully enough and write down every step of the procedure he
> specified!
Now if only ALL customers were *that* conscientious!
 Computers are just dumb machines which require highly
> specific human intervention to properly accomplish theirt tasks.
Often times, no, most of the time, it's a matter of RTFM.  To read some
of the questions posted on PCBUILD & PCSOFT, you'd think they never even
"heard" of the HELP button, not to mention any manuals.  Many years ago
when
I was in the leasing business, on delivery of new vehicles, I would
grandly
present the lessees with a manila envelope, saying:
"Here is a copy of the most-unread publication ever printed in modern
history"
 (the owner's manual), and try to "shame" them into actually sitting
down
 and reading it cover-to-cover.
--once in a very great while, they actually would. 8^/

> Remember that other ancient saying, "GIGO" (Garbage In, Garbage Out).
With the increased paucity of actual printed manuals, that is endemic:
most of the on-disk help facilities are pathetic - especially Microsoft,
which doesn't even *tell* customers that the Windows Resource Kit is
already *on* the CD.

--Just a little rant on a soggy soggy Saturday night; prob'ly put you to
sleep.
Dave Ross
San Francisco

PS:  I really appreciate http://www.annoyances.org/