From:
William Rysanek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 18:55:50 -0500
Original problem:
Building a computer from spare parts
Win 95 won't install.  Win 3.1 won't install.
System:  Shuttle Hot-433,  Intel 486DX2-33,
no name video card (vga), WD HD 1 gig with ez drive
edo Ram (32 meg)

Suspected improper voltage selection.

You really haven't given us enough information to understand your
problem.
You are probably right.
What application(s) are you running when the PC locks up?
None (win 95 alone)
What's in the systray in Win95?
Nothing
When you say it runs for a short time, do you mean minutes or days?
Window 95 installed fine and then failed on a subsequent
shutdown and restart (10-15 minutes)
Is there a DDO installed on the HD?
WD Hard Drive using EZ drive that came with it.
The answers to these and many other questions would help us to help you.
True!  I have since gone back to the basics and met with some success.
I have successfully installed DOS 6.22.
I set all of the Bios settings I didn't understand to default.
I successfully installed Win 3.1.
I have retried to install Win95b.  Now it will not even load fully.

Remaining Questions:
1) Correct Voltage settings for 486 processors  (or somewhere I can look them up)
2) Optimal Bios settings for 486 Processors (or somewhere I can look them up)
3) Possible installation tips for Win95 on a 486DX-33 system.

Thanks,
The learning curve is still steep and I appreciate your patience.
Bill Rysanek