CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Konopak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 14:07:28 -0600

   [LINK] Molly Ivins

   The country's best interests? Who thinks about that?

   AUSTIN -- Thanks to U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan and all the
   peacemakers around the globe, including those who ruined the
   administration's television show in Ohio. If we put just half as much
   money into working for peace as we do into preparing for war, we
   wouldn't have to contemplate killing hundreds of thousands of innocent
   people in order to accomplish jack.

   And now that we've spent not-enough-time on the obligatory
   "whew-and-thanks," let me suggest that we shift our focus to a little
   matter of the `first' priority. Something more important than war and
   peace? The economy? Jobs? Poverty? The homeless? Education? Housing?
   Yup.

   Why don't we spend just half as much money on ensuring peace as we do
   on preparing for war? Because peace groups don't make big campaign
   contributions and weapons manufacturers make huge ones. In fact,
   weapons manufacturers contribute so much money to politicians that
   politicians often vote to spend the public's money on weapons we don't
   need, and even weapons that are pretty useless.

   More concerned about the economy than campaign finance? Why do you
   think the bottom 50 percent of the people in this "booming economy"
   have yet to get back to where they were before the last recession? Why
   do you think Congress, after years and years of cutting and cutting
   and cutting social programs, took a great swag of money last summer --
   before we had a balanced budget -- and gave it to the wealthiest
   people in this country in the form of tax cuts? Because the wealthy
   give big campaign contributions, and people in need do not.

   Go right on down the list, and the answer every time, in every area of
   governance, is that decisions are not made according to what the
   people need or what is best for the country -- decisions are made
   according to who gave how much money.

   That's why it's especially frustrating to see polls showing that most
   Americans favor campaign finance reform but `they don't think it's all
   that important.' Just scouting around the country myself, I have yet
   to find anyone who doesn't "get it," who doesn't see the connection
   between campaign contributions and political corruption. But they have
   no idea how much it costs them personally.

   This week the Senate once more takes up the McCain-Feingold bill, a
   now much-watered-down version of campaign finance reform, but one that
   would have the happy effect of banning soft money (the unlimited swag
   that goes to parties instead of candidates). Because the Republican
   Party gets the biggest share of soft money, it opposes reform.

   Now, this same Senate has just spent an entire year and $3.5 million
   investigating the fund-raising abuses of the 1996 presidential
   campaign. All those lurid tales about fund raising in Buddhist temples
   and White House coffees, all that righteous indignation and calls for
   Attorney General Janet Reno to appoint a special prosecutor -- now is
   their chance to do something about it; now is their chance to fix it.
   Watch them verrrry closely.

   Want an example of how this affects your life? According to the Center
   for Responsive Politics: During the first half of 1995, meat and
   poultry political action committees distributed $338,205 -- 81 percent
   of it to Republicans. Of the total amount, $73,987 went to House
   Agriculture Committee members, with Chairman Pat Roberts of Kansas
   coming out as the top recipient.

   June 28, 1995, Associated Press: "A key House panel voted Tuesday to
   block the first sweeping proposal to reform meat and poultry
   inspections since 1906, despite warnings from consumer groups that the
   action could be deadly.

   "The House Appropriations committee voted 26-15 to withhold funds for
   the Department of Agriculture's planned changes to the inspection
   system unless the meat industry is allowed to help re-write them. The
   USDA changes were designed to use modern scientific techniques to cut
   down on the 4,000 deaths and five million illnesses from contaminated
   meat every year."

   From `The New York Times,' July 1995: "In the next few weeks, Congress
   will consider legislation to alter rules on food safety significantly.
   The changes, scattered throughout several bills, have been proposed by
   Republicans to limit the federal government's authority to regulate
   not only food safety but also health and the environment.

   "Taken together, the bills would reduce the burden on business to
   prove that food is safe and would increase the burden on government
   agencies to prove that proposed rules would reduce risks to the public
   and would be worth the cost. The bills would also expand the food
   industry's chances to appeal the rules in court."

   Connect the dots. Follow the bouncing ball. A report just released by
   Common Cause, "Pocketbook Politics," shows how powerful special
   interests -- helped by generous campaign contributions -- have won
   victories in Washington that are costing the American consumer. Since
   1991, the special interests examined in the report doled out more than
   $61.3 million in political contributions -- nearly $24.6 million of
   that in unregulated soft money contributions. What did it cost you?

   * $550 million because of loss of access to generic drugs.

   * $59 billion annually at the gas pump because for three years
   Congress has frozen the fuel efficiency standards.

   * $2.8 billion annually from the jump in cable TV bills and pay phone
   rates that followed the 1996 Telecommunications Act.

   * $1.6 billion in sugar and peanut subsidies.

   And that, to coin a phrase, is like the tip of that thing that hit the
   Titanic.

   And to coin a future phrase, here is today's Campaign Finance Slogan:
   "It's government by the people -- not people buy the government." Our
   reader response to last summer's slogan drive was incredible.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    "Man may smile and smile but he is not an investigating animal.
He loves the obvious. He shrinks from explanations." --Jos. Conrad
   ___  _ _
    |   |   \  |   / John Konopak, Ph.D.  +----------------------+
    |   |    ) |  /  EDUC/ILAC            | You can lead a horse |
    |   |___/  |_/ University of Oklahoma |   to water; but you  |
    |   |      | \   Norman OK 73019      | can't make him surf! |
(__/ *  ! *    |   \* Ph: 405-325-1498||FX: 405-325-4061

"People know what they do; and sometimes they know why they do it.
But what they don't know is what what they do does." -- M. Foucault
  |   [Standard Disclaimer: Irremediable intertextuality,     |
  |   and/or consequent and/or collateral intersubjectivity   |
  |   notwithstanding, opinions here are as much "my own"     |
  |   as I can make them.  Still, I wish I'd said:            |
  |     "Those who can, do; those who know, teach."]          |