CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:37:06 -0800

The celiac listtowners closed the salt discussion on the celiac list & I
was hoping to post some nutritional clarification...... I guess the
ability to control topic discussions is does not take correcting
misinformation into consideration..... so here's a little information on
salt.....

Whenever I read or hear something that has broad & sweeping
generalizations, I tend to question it more. The salt thread strikes me
as being one of those.

Quote from Leslies post:  To quote the workbook, "SALT -- an essential
nutrient.  Cutting back on salt can cause a decrease in the amount of
blood circulating through your body and placenta (hypovolemia), thus
reducing the supply of nutrients passing to your baby.  Too little salt
in the diet leads to leg cramps and fatigue.  <snip>

Sure salt is an essential nutrient.  Then start looking at foods in the
Western diet & realize much of it has huge amounts of sodium....  much
more than is needed.  There are specific dietary guidelines for sodium
intake, and I've not heard of many cases of sodium deprivation in 1998.
Quite the opposite, many people have an overabundance and it is causing
health complications such as edema, high blood pressure, water
retention etc...

Also this remark that "every pregnant woman should know".... every
pregnant woman has a different set of health scenarios. A pregnant woman
who has high blood pressure & edema (swelling of the feet & ankles), may
need to restrict & cut back on sodium intake- as well as other health
conditions that will be worsened by additional salt intake.

I'm quoting from the nutritional guidelines given to me by a Registered
Dietician:

"Americans consume far more sodium than they need. The American Heart
Association and the American Diabetes Association recommend limiting
sodium to less than 3000 mg (3 gram) per day. The average American gets
between 4-7 grams in a day
 (4000-7000mg). Our needs are probably met at 1/2 gram (500mg).

Sodium is a mineral which is naturally occurring in our food, and is
also added to our foods for flavoring & preservation. The usual form of
sodium we think of is Sodium chloride (table salt). Much of the sodium
in our diet is added to our foods when they are processed or prepared."

One teaspoon of salt = 2,300 mg sodium
Remember: As is the case with fat, a little salt goes a long way.

Fran
"who does not know it all, but sure wishes she did! "