BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:11:18 -0500
Ken writes:
>>read a biography of an early Nebraska settler, Old Jules.<<

It is a famous story know by every son (or in my case great-grandson) of a
Nebraska sodbuster. Jules Sandoz was one of the first settlers in Verdigre
township, Knox Co., Nebraska, where my mom's family also located and later
operated the Commercial Hotel, now preserved under the tax act credits
program by current owner Mike Maslonka (but I digress). Jules then moved on
a few counties west helping others get settled, and was a grand champion of
agraian rights. My dad, a commercial artist in the 1920s, knew Mari Sandoz
when they both worked at the university publishing company in Lincoln. He
took me to meet her once in the 1950s when I was a little kid. I was
suitable inspired to make my only academic achievement which was a whole
series of Sandoz book reports I left sprinkled behind me as I struggled
through grade school, junior high and high school in Lincoln. My reputation
exceeded me when I arrived on my first day in 10th grade literature class.
Mrs. Williams introduced me to the class as "the Sandoz scholar", and then
admonished me privately after class that I would have to make at least one
important addition to my previous year's Sandoz book report.

Boilerplating reports was an academic technique I also used on the topics of
Tesla's various devices, MASERS and LASERS. All this early practice at
boilerplating still pays off occasionally  when thickness is a reporting
requirement on a consulting contract.

John Leeke, Preservation Consultant

publisher:               Practical Restoration Reports
contributing editor: Old-House Journal
postal:                    26 Higgins St., Portland, Maine, USA
phone & fax:           01 207 773-2306
email:                      [log in to unmask]
website:                  www.HistoricHomeWorks.com