BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 16:53:29 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-01 19:37:13 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Have any of the estimators out there requested probes before bidding? >>

I recommend probes and pre-bid investigations as often as possible. I also
very often recommend that building owners who contact me directly to hire
architects and structural engineers.

From the contractor's perspective it rarely helps to ask for probes before
bidding as usually 1) we have only been given a week to bid and 2) we are
faced with the dilemma that we request them but our competition does not...
which can put us at a disadvantage.

The other problem is that if probes were not done in the design phase it is
likely the owner (person paying for the project) did not want to pay for
probes, or for adequate pre-bid investigation.

The design professionals that include the cost of adequate probe &
investigation in their proposals are at a disadvantage to those design
professionals who do not include them. An example is those architects who are
willing to do a facade inspection with binoculars (hopefully under 30 mph),
and those who insist on getting access for a hands-on inspection. The
binoculars satisfy the letter of the law, but the hands-on inspection keps the
building from falling apart.

][<en