Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 23:12:50 -0400
There has been some inquiry as to success stories and what to read re
this type of diet strategy;  in addition to the oft mentioned and
excellent essay by Ward Nicholson, "Paleolithic Diet vs Vegetarianism,"
I think  the most eloquent  statement of the rationale for the paleo
diet remains ThePaleolithic Prescription by Eaton, Shostak and Konner.
Chapter One, The Paleolithic Legacy, aks the reader to   suppose for a
moment that we and our families were living in a reasonably hospitable
locale 40,000 years ago.  Then follows a wonderful day in the life of a
paleo family that sets the tone for the rest of the book as it depicts
dietary and fitness strategies that derive from the
evolutionary/adaptive  hypothesis.  Those interested in imposing this
diet strategy on their kids should read both of these sources very
carefully since, at a minimum, they should have some understanding of
nutritional essentials and dangers of imbalances that could flow from a
too narrow  interpretation of the "paleo diet."  In my humble opinion,
the suggestions on this list range from scientifically sound to goofy.
Reading the books  and well documented commentary available  provides
sufficient basic knowledge to separate the supportable and worthy info
from the suspect.   Art De Vany's essay on Evolutionary Fitness is also
great motivational reading.  I have seen much of what I have just said
in the  archives of the list but it seems that there are several posts
lately by individuals seeking basics.  I enjoy the references that
appear from time to time and hope that anyone who comes across
interesting reading continues to pass it on to the list.  Rick