BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - His DNA is this long." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 08:53:35 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/98 7:23:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> These open discussions are best done when the
>  authority keeps their mouth shut, facilitates, but mainly LISTENS.

One of the most interesting roundtables I attended was at the NTHP conference
in Chicago a while back -- Paul Goldberger moderated a panel of well-known
architects on the subject of whether design guidelines hindered creative
contemporary design. There was a good range of opinion -- some supportive,
some not. It was refreshing to hear thoughtful objections to the guidelines.

There is often a wide range of opinion on preservation issues, but very little
public time exploring those differences.  There seems to be a fear of looking
less-than-monolithic as a "movement." Open discussions would allow for some
critical thinking that seems to elude us in the normal presentation format.

Mary Krugman