From:
"Bradley E. Hoge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 07:02:45 -0600

I greatly appreciate the many responses to my request for experiences with
excercise programs.  Of the 33 replies I've received only one has had
trouble.  Everyone else has expressed truly inspiring experiences.  Since
my CD diagnosis followed running a marathon, and my first year gluten-free
was perhaps the best of my life, I am gratified to know that my current
problems may lie elsewhere.  I do feel that the valuable information
contained in the replies to my message should be passed on, so here is a
summary:

1.  Any exercise program should start slowly and build to a goal.  Listen
to your body and let it tell you when it is tired.  Rest is an important
aspect of any exercise program.  Persistence is another.  Keep with it.
2.   Drink plenty of water and eat a balanced diet.  Supplements may be
useful, especially anti-oxidants if you are running long distances.
Runner's World magazine has an excellent nutritionist. Her columns have
been very helpful to me.
3.  Stretch before and after exercise, and make it a part of your program.
Stretch on off-days.
4.  Include wieght-training with cardiovascular excercise for total fitness.
5.  There is no reason why we can't find a program that works for us.
Walking, running, aerobics, swimming, or whatever interests you.  Since
most of us experience weight gain after diagnosis, an exercise program is a
valuable part of our recovery.  It also increases energy and reduces
stress.

Go for it, everyone!  And, thanks for the support!

Bradley E. Hoge
Wetland Center for Biogeochemical Research
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Dept.
Rice University
6100 Main St.
Houston, TX  77005-1892