From:
Roy Armour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 13:54:16 -0500

Based on the response level, reactions to ophthalmic solution in celiacs
appears rare if non-existent. Because so few responses were received,
I'll repeat them rather than attempt a summarization.

----
I am not sure what help I can be but I took a test and was required to
drink a solution that contained sodium and it made me ill. I have been
told that sodium can give you a reaction if you have DH.
Hope this helps a little,
Lucy
----

I would be very curious if you get replies to this question.  I always
have red eyes for days after an exam but never associated it with a celiac
reaction.
Bev in Ct.
----

I don't know that this had any connection to my celiac disease, but I had
a massive allergic reaction to Midryacel, a solution for dialating pupils.
My throat started to close up and the doctor called 911, the emergency room
next door and a cardiologist on his floor.  The combination saved me.
Barbara

----

I reacted strongly to this w/ a most peculiar rxn - much like what I
imagine a panic attack to be.  My heart was racing and I absolutely HAD
to walk around.  I HAD to get out of the small room and walk the halls
even though I was dizzy and nauseous.  My children (non-celiac so far!!)
had the same treatment at the same time w/ no adverse rxns.  I have heard
of other celiacs having problems but I have no idea if this is directly
related to celiac disease.  My rxn was not at all like my more typical
GI problems due to gluten ingestion.  I do not have anxiety/claustrobia
problems so this rxn seemed to be directly related to the eye drops.
I don't plan to have the trtmt again unless it is absolutely necessary.
I probably won't be so scared b/c I'll know what might happen.  Best of
luck figuring out what to do.
Kathryn K. Harden, Ph.D.
Assistant Editor,
The Journal of Nutrition
----

I have had the stuff used on me several times with no problems.  Neither
of these chemicals contain gluten - unless you react externally to alcohols,
which may have been used in their preparation.  I play with a variation of
this stuff at work all the time and have no problems there either.
Becky Goyan
----

[log in to unmask]     Mentor Graphics Corporation - IC/Ver Doc
Tel (503)685-1187 -or- (800)345-2308 x1187      8005 SW Boeckman Rd
Fax (503)685-1282                        Wilsonville, OR 97070-7777
Work banishes those three great evils: boredom, vice and poverty.
 - Voltaire, French author (b. 1694)