From:
"John C. Paulsen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 18:05:12 -0700

Hi All;
A while back I posted an inquiry as to the use of LECITHIN as an additive
when making GF bread, specifically the following questions---
<How much is used in a batch?, 2) Which is the better to use, the liquid
<lecithin or the granular lecithin?, and 3)Is it added to the wet or the dry
<ingredients?

I received five responses which are summarized as follows:

1) Added 1 tbs of the granules to the dry ingredients

2) Added 1 tbs of the liquid to the wet ingredients. Liquid lecithin is very
sticky and utensils are hard to clean up.
3) Added 1/4 tsp of the liquid to make a one lb loaf in a Welbilt machine.
Information was in the Welbilt manual which has GF bread recipes.
4) Added abt 1-2 tsp of liquid lecithin to the wet ingredients.  Liquid is
hard         to measure due to stickiness.
5) Provided the following additive guidelines obtained from a conference:
        1 tsp of ascorbic acid (vitamin C)---more rise
        1 tsp-1 tbs fruit pectin---high rise
        1 tsp rice or cider vinegar---preservative
        1 tbs Clear-Gel---high rise
        1 tsp lecithin granules---preservative.

I tried adding abt 1/2 tbs of the granules to a 1 1/2 loaf batch by TRYING!!
to dissolve them in the wet ingredients only to have the granules bond to
the oil and become a sticky glob. Must have eventually dissolved though
because I could find no residue in the finished loaf.  Also could not see a
noticeable difference in the finished product. Will try adding the dry to
the dry ingredients directly.  Thanks again to the responders.
John in AZ