From:
Michele Shoemaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 15:45:40 -0400
Speaking of herbs, I remember a couple of weeks ago, or was it maybe last
week, the subject of echinecea was brought up for someone, I'm sorry to say
I can't remember who it was, though I do remember why, it was recommended.

In any case. The point of this message is that echinecea and goldenseal
should not be taken daily as a tonic. No matter what the dosage. There are
several reasons for this, a few of the most important ones I list here.

If taken for an extended period of time echinecea, being and
immuno-stimulant, will over-stimulate the immune system, thereby weakening
it further, it also looses its efficacy after a couple of weeks.

Goldenseal, if taken extensively can cause irritation to the mucous
membranes.

If the infections are chronic then an immune-system tonic would be a better
route to follow with supplementation of anti-virals like echinecea when
needed.

Whoever this applies to can e-mail me privatly, again I'm sorry I forgot
who it was, I'm up to my eyeballs in research these days.....perhaps I'm
becoming an absent minded professor.....

Willow