NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:24:27 -0500
>This is in reply to Simon W. Hecht who wrote:
>
>"New Years Day, I suddenly became quite ill.  Since I am allergic to any
>type of milk protein, we reviewed the food eaten the day before. (mine
>is
>a delayed reaction, eight or more hours).
>
>The main suspects are some black licorice candy, and two slices of
>"dark"
>bread.  Both contained Caramel, and\or Caramel coloring.  I read on the
>internet that caramel may contain milk sugar as a component.
>
>Has any one had a similar experience?"

Caramel coloring can be derived from milk, and may trigger a reaction. My
son Josh had a reaction to Twizzlers licorice. To this day, we're still not
sure if it was milk or if it was peanut, since there is apparently peanut
in them (!?) (this, according to the "Brand Name Guide to Food Allergies").

>My 11-yr-old daughter also is allergic to milk protein and has delayed
>reaction. She also reacts to dark breads--rye, pumpernickel, etc. After
>examining the ingredients, we tend to think it is the lactic acid. I
>have read on this list and in other places that lactic acid is not
>always a milk product, but it definitely caused a typical milk reaction
>in Jamie.

If it is Kosher Pareve, you can be sure that milk was not the source of any
ingredient.

>As for carmel--we have found that carmel can (not always) cause a
>problem, but Jamie is OK with carmel coloring.

When in doubt, stick with pareve caramel coloring, or call the
manufacturer, or just skip it.

I used to really like the non-colored Snapple sodas (cola and "Tru Root
Beer", but I haven't seen them in a while.

Mark Feblowitz