NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 14:44:50 -0500
>Unless my understanding is wrong, someone please correct me if it is,
>if casein isn't listed in the ingrediants it's not in there.  Also,
>if your toddler has been eating Starkist tuna in spring water and
>hasn't had a reaction to it, that's another indicator that casein
>isn't one of the ingrediants.

Casein is milk protein. It can be found in some products that have no
listed dairy ingredients but have been manufactured using equipment that
has also been used to produce foods that contain greater-than-trace amounts
of casein. If you're lucky, the package will be marked Kosher (or U with an
O around it) D.E. - the D.E. stands for Dairy Equipment, and indicates that
the food may contain trace amounts of dairy proteins due to contamination
from equipment use to produce dairy-containing products. For those who are
highly allergic to dairy products, the only safe, completely dairy-free
foods are those marked Kosher Pareve or those that the manufacturer states
have been made without dairy products and in completely dairy-free
equipment.

Mark Feblowitz