BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 13:09:13 EST
In a message dated 98-01-05 20:52:07 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

>  You may want to contact several preservation product manufacturers that
>  also offer training and application of their products.  You may be able to
fill
>  the gap by having your current labor force trained by the manufacturer.

I recommend this method. We use it with our workforce. The only problems are
1) a strange resistance to take advantage of the opportunity when offered and
2) the need for economic health (enough profitable work) to afford sending
workers to classes, usually out of the area, and requiring that they be paid
for the time, and 3) the inability to measure the results (taciturn workers
not having much to say?) - leaving one sometimes wondering if anything was
learned at all. One problem with the resistance to accept the offer is their
feeling that their language skills are not up to schooling. There is a
distinction to be made between the self-starter and the follower. A lot of
planning and encouragement has to go into the project.

John Leeke's educational program is also a good one. It depends on if you want
to get involved primarily as a consultant, or solely as a contractor. As a
contractor I have no interest in building up a workforce for other contractors
- therefore little direct interest in a guild. As a General Contractor I
depend on a stable of competent subcontractors and craftspeople - therefore I
appreciate the guilds and efforts such as John Leeke's.

The drawback with sending workers to manufacturer classes is that, after you
have made a capital investment, the workers remain free go elsewhere and can
ask for higher pay based on the training you provided. It is similar to the
idea that the older stonemason should find apprentices, who often leave and
start their own competing firms - as I once did myself. After a while the
experienced craftsperson does not care for the idea. I remember one highly
skilled gentleman, a few years back, expressing disdain that someone had
approached him with the idea that he should volunteer to teach his craft. If
you want to start a school you need good instructors, with extensive
experience, and you have to give them a better compensation package than they
can get in the market.

I do not believe that there is no easy answer.

Another enigma... why is it that employees never take as good care of the
tools you supply as you would? Figure that one out and you will get rich
spreading the word.

][<en Follett