RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:37:03 -0300
At 10:07 25/02/1999 +0100, you wrote:

> -Converting the world to vegetarianism would NOT resolve famine
>problems. Even in countries where enough food is produced, some people
>are still starving.

hi, jean louis. while it is true that the cause of people starving is also
economic in nature, the fact that a high percentage of the world production
of grains is given to animals can not be overlooked. i do not know about RAF
for health reasons, but from an economic/environmental point of view, there
is NO valid reason to waste much of the food of the world feeding animals.
it is just crazy. it is not only that people starve, there is massive
worldwide environmental destruction of all kinds as a result of animal
husbandry. it destroys OUR world, despite of our diet, it pollutes rivers,
depletes the soils of life and vegetation, destroys rainforest, creates
unnatural man made environments. also wildlife is decimated, animals are
killed to make room for cattle, the soil is compacted, etc.

john robbins says, if a big part of the grain and beans produced in the
world are feed to the animals, you can be sure that people will NOT get
them; if some of the grain and beans are NOT feed to the animals, then there
is a chance, at least in theory, that some people will be fed.

 it shows an incredible level of arrogance and stupidity for us as species
to destroy our home to produce sick animals that feed on the worldīs grain!
feeding animals with grain on a world-wide scale is a recent thing, but
cattle as a primary world-destroying activity is thousands of years old.
if anyone is interested, all this and much more is clearly told in "beyond
beef" by jeremy rifkin.

i do not know how to harmonize the fact that some people improve their
health with RAF or cooked animal products with the above, though. there is
something to both ideas. thatīs why i think the vegan study klapper is going
to conduct can provide good info.

regards,
               axel