RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 18:12:42 -0300
At 08:10 21/02/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Perhaps a low carb, paleo type diet would reduce cravings that lead to bulimia.
>
>In other words, carb addiction leads to more and more carbs, eventually the
>person throws them up to keep from gaining weight.
>
>Once you get over carb addiction, on paleo, maybe the bulimia would also
lesson?

i think there is a big big emotional component in bulimia from my experience
and from other raw fooders/natural hygienists i have met. you can probably
change your diet, the percentages of nutrients, eat more of this, less of
that, higher quality food, and other things, but nothing of this will touch
the underlying emotional lack of balance that promts so many people to eat
too much chocolate, too much dates, too much nuts, too much of whatever. of
course food has a lot to do with feeling depressed, calm, nervious, hyper
(for example on sugar) but food is NOT, IMHO, the most important reason for
people to have eating disorders. i have also heard in this list before
interesting explanations in terms of the body craving some nutrient missing
in the diet and prompting the person to overeat some food that is available
at that time, that does not have the nutrient needed so you keep blindly
overeating, etc. but still, it is so universal in the western world as it
seems to use food for emotional needs not satisfied, among sad eaters,
health conscious people, etc.

would like to hear what you think about this...

it seems that in the health food world many people think that you can solve
addictions with proper diet, and other physical health factors,but for me it
is not possible in many cases because people eat out of pain, out of
emptiness, out of loneliness, for selfpunishment, etc.

ok, that is what i feel, and think, no more.

bye,
       axel