RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 15:26:48 -0500
Wes Peterson wrote:

>People who reported sometimes eating white meat had a 55% higher risk
>of colon cancer compared with vegetarians. See
>http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2556669185-a73

This was extensively discussed on the PaleoFood list. This was a study done
by Seventh Day Adventists using people in their congregation. Many of them
are vegetarian. On the paleo list we feel that there is a big correlation
between cancer and grains. I doubt the people that designed and carried out
the study tried to quantify the amount of grains consumed by the
participants. Why would they? To them grains are a major part of their
diet, the staff of life. Besides, the quantity consumed would have been so
great that it would be hard to quantify. The study was likely undertaken to
try to justify the vegetarian lifestyle, and to be used as evidence to get
the half that are not vegetarians to give up meat. Participants can be
selected and questions designed to improve the chances of getting the
results one is seeking. For example, you interview prospective participates
by phone. You ask about cancer in their family and what diet they are on.
They you accept or reject them based on their answers. Since this was done
prior to the study none of this would be revealed.

Don.