RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 20:36:38 -0400
Hi Susan,

>Apparently oats cause rickets and osteoporosis as they deplete your body of
>essential vitamins and minerals like magnesium, calcium, iron, and zinc.

I presume this is due to the phytates that you refer to?

I've read that our bodies can actually adapt to regular usage of
phytate-containing foods, such as oats, by producing the enzyme phytase,
which allows us to thereby handle the phytates. Also, I've read that only
the minerals in the oats, etc. itself are kept from being absorbed - it
apparently doesn't hinder absorption from other sources. (By the way, same
thing supposedly with raw eggs with the avidin and biotin issue).

One thing I need to learn more on is the gluten issue, and if it differs
with raw vs. cooked. I assume it must.

Wes