RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roberta J Leong, LAc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 08:38:04 -0700
Hi all,

If anyone can help me by suggesting sources, documents, books or
websites that list amounts of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids from
various foods, I'd really appreciate it.

Flax seed oil is rich in fatty acids we need.  That is the best
apparently, and I'm sure other foods have them as well, but I don't have
anything readily available that lists amounts, and that is what I'm
looking for.   Also some people are allergic to flax, and it has a
laxative effect so isn't always suitable.

An aside:
>From my recent reading -  apparently cooking with oils or heat
extraction turns "good oils" into harmful substances.  Regarding my
fried foods   - - looks like same is true for humans, but it isn't that
it is canola oil, it may very well be all cooked oils really do damage,
especially to the heart.  Imagine if this is the truth:  then, this is a
big problem because nearly ALL oils are heat extracted in supermarket
and restaurants.  And those that aren't are often used to COOK WITH !!
I don't have conclusions yet, but recent reading doesn't sound
encouraging.  This would explain why there is such a drastic rise in
heart disease in 80 years here in USA - we used to have low heart
disease rates, now it is quite high.  Additionally not just increase in
cooked oils worsens, but simultaneously, there is nutritional deficiency
on rise of NEEDED fats in diet, so not one but two factors in
consumption of fats has seriously injured the health of people.  Recent
survey also shows 80% of people in USA are nutritionally deficient in
essential fatty acids...which are obtained primarily through raw fatty
foods.

regards, roberta