RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellie Rotunno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 01:29:41 -0800
Thomas E. Billings wrote:
> Ellie - your point is good. What the heated seeds tell us is that
> enzymes are not the life force, and are not as important as rawist
> dogma claims they are.

I think life force includes all living physiological systems including
enzymes, but what I meant to say was that heated seeds may contain
enzymes that are not easily destroyed whereas mature plants contain
different enzymes, which may be heat labile. So the heated seed story
doesn't really minimize the importance of not destroying enzymes by
overcooking. The hydrolytic enzymes in the lysosomes of all cells are
specific for digesting those cells, and will help the digestive process
when food is eaten raw. There seems to be a trade off, that cooking makes
some foods more digestable by our own intestinal enzymes, others may be
less digestable because of the heating of the enzymes in the food. It's
just not an all or nothing situation about whether to eat raw or cooked.

My best, Ellie