RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 21:35:13 -0400
I looked throgh some of the archives (there is lots of stuff there!) and
can't quite locate anything specific regarding eating raw fish.
I don't ask for much, so if anyone would be willing to repeat the
information, I'd be most greatful.

Suppose the fish I buy is fairly fresh (and on ice - that's how I've seen
it in most stores), why is it not suggested to eat it right away and
air-dry instead?  What does air-drying do to the fish and what are the
chances I'll be seeing little odd creatures crawling on my plate after
this 3-4 day period?  Isn't Sushi done with raw, fresh and not air-dried
fish?  I actually talked to the salesman in one of the stores today; I
asked him to share some of his expert opinion on how to eat his products
raw and he looked at me very suspicious - in fact, everyone in the store
did.  I ended up not getting any answers as no one other than myself
seemed to be crazy enough to ever even consider the idea of eating a fish
raw.

In any case, I feel a pressing need to have some fish.  I'm giving you 24
hours to answer; then I'm buying it and eating as is.  *You* will be held
responsible for whatever happens to me (this is not true, of course; but
please do come to the funeral).  :)

Also, anyone would care to mention some safe bets as far as quality or
types of fish I should look for?  Deep ocean only?  How long
should it be sitting on the shelf at most?  Is "on-ice" good?  What part
of fish? no bones?

Thanks.  :)