RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 23:03:39 -0600
Bo7b mentions:

>        "Raw Extremes", by Kirt Nieft & Melisa Secola, not yet published,
><snip>

And it doesn't look like it will be in the near future. It is not available
and badly dated already.

Bo7b, a point of parlimentary procedure (as said in "Animal House"), I'm
not sure I want my phone number and address published here or anywhere on
the net, but I guess I'm a little late, eh?

Other required raw reading IMO (mostly culled from a post long ago):

THE PALEOLITHIC PRESCRIPTION, by S. Boyd Eaton, MD, Marjorie Shostack,
Melvin Konner, MD, PhD. 1988, Harper & Row. These are mainstream scientists
who outline a riviting summary of anthropology and the current reseach in
order to arrive at the "true human diet" and, to a lessor degree, lifestyle
including the "latest" on exercise from a paleo perspective. The
differences between raw and cooked food is only mentioned in passing and
the resulting diet recommendations are absurd (how can these people put the
whole story together and then say we should eat low-fat jelly to make up
for the berries in our ancestor's diet! And then that grains are too
important not to eat them!!). This book compares and constrasts the modern
diet and habits of homo sapiens with their Stone Age pregenetors using
mainstream research. It is basically the research base supporting a raw
diet of animal foods, fruits, and veggies without even realizing it. Great
for a summary of research on the Paleolithic diet but a real head-slapper
when it comes to its wimpy "recomendations". Must read. Sadly out of print
but I've seen it for $2.99 in overstock/discount bookstores. Libraries?
Book search services?
---------------
INTERVIEW WITH WARD NICHOLSON, in Health & Beyond Vol. 4, No. 6,8,9. What
would happen if the classic "intelligent layman" went the the libraries
available to him in Witchita, Kansas and found out for himself just what
the heck is known and published regarding human evolution as it relates to
diet? Read for yourself. Ward's answers are largely common knowledge in the
scientific community but he is very hip to all the raw foods arguments and
interpets the research in light of (and often opposition to) NH dogma. This
will probably be seen as  controversial, and if it is, it may simply be
because there have been so few NHers willing to research the issues with an
open mind themselves. Contact Chet Day through his web page at
http://hacres.com and see if it is still available. Ward has earned the
respect of several of the researchers he footnotes on the grounds of his
careful summary and researching diligence. Must read for any potential raw
fooder or veteran.
---------------
NATIVE NUTRITION: EATING ACCORDING TO ANCESTRAL WISDOM, by Ronald Schmid,
N.D. 1994 Healing Arts Press. Schmid considers the research of Dr. Weston
Price in light of more recent nutritional studies and argues for a high
protien, high veggie diet, as raw as possible. Nowhere does he mention
instincto or a taste-change, but the book has important perspectives for
any student of instinctive nutrition. Must read (especially if you can't
get hold of Dr. Price's book, below). I think Peter mentioned other
editions of this book which I never heard of before.
----------------
NUTRITION & PHYSICAL DEGENERATION, by Dr. Weston Price. 1945/1970,
Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation. Available only in hardcover, this
books summarizes the life's work of a dentist who traveled the world
earlier this century looking for pristine traditional peoples in order to
prove the superiority of a vegetarian diet, but concluded instead that
animal foods are fundamental to human well-being. Each chapter deals with a
specific traditional culture, showing photos and listing data (almost
always in prose form, tough going) comparing the dental heath of the people
eating the traditional foods and those people of the same heritage who have
been eating refined western foods. The traditional foods win. Contact the
Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation, Box 2614, LaMesa CA 91943-2614
(Phone: 619-574-7763) The photos alone are worth the price if you have some
disposable income.
-------------
POTTINGERS CAT'S: A STUDY IN NUTRITION, by Dr. Francis Pottinger. 1983
Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation. A summary/compilation of the
oft-quoted research done between 1932 and 1942 begs for peer review and
confirmation (or not) by research done using modern methods. Pottinger fed
various groups of cats on various combinations or raw and cooked milk and
meat. Stunning support for the utility of raw foods. Does not shy away from
raw animal foods in his recommendations for human diet, but a cat is quite
different than a human being. Pictures, charts, etc. Contact the
Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation, Box 2614, LaMesa CA 91943-2614
(Phone: 619-574-7763). Available in paperback.
-------------
ENZYME NUTRITION: THE FOOD ENZYME CONCEPT, by Dr. Edwrd Howell. 1985, Avery
Publishing Group. Explains the superiority of raw foods in terms of
enzymes. Both animal and plant foods are explored. Must reading. Amazon.com
has it last time I checked.
---
FOOD ENZYMES FOR HEALTH AND LONGEVITY< by Dr. Edward Howell. 1994, Lotus
Press (National Enzyme Company) I'm not sure what the story is with this.
The cover calls it the "2nd edition--revised and enlarged" and much of it
is similar to ENZYME NUTRITION, but the stuff that has been cut from EN was
great stuff(!) leaving this the weaker version. Is this the version which
is slated to sell enzyme tablets?

Also at least one of the paleo-diet books would be in order, like
"Neanderthin" by Ray Audette (has web page; search on title or name) or
"Protien Power" by Eades. These are so different that maybe both should be
read, though I admit I have yet to read either--but I will...:)

And I would add Vonderplanitz' "We Want To Live" with considerable
reservation because of his "explanations". Still, beggars can't be choosers
in the raw book world. (There have been a couple threads and reviews on
this book that should be in the archives.)

Cheers,
Kirt