Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 07:13:09 -0700
Thanks Todd, G. Farrell,  and List.

Would clarified butter (ghee) be an ok source of fat. I know it is not
strictly paleo, but I am desperate for fat and calories for him.

Nut butters make me a little nervous because they do have some  carbs in
them.  He also likes them TOO much, could eat it forever, which has
typically meant it is not a healthy food for him! He craves nut butter like
crazy. I give him some, esp almond butter and hazel nut butter. Hazel nut in
particular has very high fat, is almost all fat by percent.

What about health food store store bacon? It is smoked, not cured, and has
some honey. However, it does not taste at all sweet, and on the label says
"0 carbs" What do you guys think?

I would like to get almost ketogenic. Another mom has had great results with
fats and proteins, her son immediately regresses even on vegetables.

Larry could eat celery and almond butter till the cows come home. Even a
snack like that is too glycemic.

He likes turkey pemmican. I have been using coconut oil for fat, it is
refined with hexane.( I confirmed this with the manufacturer, however they
said all store oils/fats that are not specifically organic are refined with
hexane)

 I am searching for organic coconut oil but so far can't locate it, all the
suppliers are sold out.

I am going to try shoulder of lamb, and ground pork.

Could I use pork fat to mix with his turkey pemmican? I have been using lots
of olive oil but he is not wild about it.

Gosh, if I could use the health food store bacon, that would help. However,
any sugar seems to feed the dang candida!

Thanks, everybody for all of your suggestions.

Moira

for some reason, olive oil is not a very filling or satisfying fat. Why?