From:
Wolfson440 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 17:16:02 EDT
I have seen several posts asking about ketosis and about weight loss.

If you are looking for information on both of these topics, pick up a copy of
Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution.

By the way, from my perspective, the only real difference between Atkins and
paleo diets is that we eliminate the dairy (Atkins allows only the higher-fat,
low-carb dairy products such as butter, cheese and sour cream). Atkins also
allows some of the higher-carb veggies (sweet potatoes, squash) and very small
amounts of grains but only for those who can tolerate them (ie. not gain or
stop losing). What I followed Atkins I didn't eat any of those foods anyway,
so the only real difference now is giving up dairy all together.

In Atkins, the emphasis is on carbohydrate content rather than looking at what
our anscestors ate, but the end result is very similar.

<<I tried to look up a ketogenic diet to see what it was.  I couldnt find a
list of foods but did see that it is low carb, right?  Wouldnt a paleo diet
just be taking a ketognic diet one step farther in the right direction?
Paleo is also low carb.  Why is dairy beneficial on a ketogenic diet?  Just
wondering, I know nothing about this and have never heard of it. Patti>>

Patti -- the Paleo diet is not necessarily low-carb. It IS lower in carbs than
the average american diet, but depending on what quanities of veggies or
fruits or nuts you are eating, and your own metabolism, you are probably not
low enough to trigger ketosis (ie. fat burning, fat loss). Atkins recommends
starting with an induction level of 20 carbs a day and then going up 5 carbs
each week until your weight loss is about 1-2 pounds per week. Once you reach
your ideal weight, you again increase until you reach your Critical
Carbohydrate Level -- that is the level of carbs you can consume and not gain
and not lose.

As far as eating dairy on a ketogenic diet, high fat dairy products provide
good levels of fat and protein and don't have a lot of carbs (of course you do
have to be careful with some like cottage cheese and whipping cream, which can
still add up to a lot of carbs pretty quickly)

Michelle