From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:21:15 -0400
John C. Pavao asked:

>How many people are lactose intolerant?  I wonder how many of
>them are like me, actually gluten intolerant?

It depends on where the person's ancestors are from. In non-Caucasians
lactose intolerance is common, and gluten intolerance is rare. It is the
other way around for Caucasians. The probability that the lactose
intolerance is secondary to gluten intolerance increases the further
northwest in Europe one's ancestors are from, and would peak in Western
Ireland.

Don.