NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen Fernety <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:42:17 -0500
>>These 'cheese' substitutes by VeganRella are pretty awful in my
>>opinion.  They are heavily (Italian, Mexican, etc) flavored bits of
>>brazil nuts that lack the texture or richness (of flavor) of cheeses.

The only thing we have found, and we try alot of them, is nutritional
yeast. If comes as a flaky powder. I use it on popcorn and garlic bread. At
first we don't think it tasted like cheese but it don't taste bad. Then I
added a more generious amount and you know it does have a cheesie flavor. I
could only find it in my larger health food store. They get it in bulk and
put it in little bags like fresh bulk spices. It was also very
inexspensive. $2.40 for a bag that will last me for probally 6 months. The
brand is RED STAR. the yeast people. There is also a company on the net
that I think you can order from on-line. Do a Yahoo for nutritional yeast
and your find it. I cannot recommend this company I just happened to review
their site the other day.

I think of it as a nutritional yeast as a spice or condiment. I haven't
adventured into the non-cheese recipes that use it yet. But you know I'll
share when I do:-).

Helen

P.S. - My daughter joked the other day after trying yet another new dairy
free recipe of mine. "You know mommy. Maybe come day you may actually
invent a falk cheese that tastes good." --- out of the mounths of babes