NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 13:03:04 -0500
At 12:20 PM 1/19/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Does anyone have a container of rice dream or dari-free
>>beverages to see how much calcium per ounces they contain?

Dari-Free contains 30% RDA for calcium. The only problem with Dari-Free is
the fat content, which is zero. Pediatricians want children under two to
have a certain amount of fat in their diet, which they usually get through
cows milk.
There has been some argument as to whether children that age really do need
that much fat.  Fortunately, my son likes to eat chicken nuggets, battered
fish, etc (milk and egg free) to compensate for the lack of fat in the
Dari-Free. I've avoided giving him peanut butter (another high fat food)
until he's older to help prevent developing a peanut allergy.

Linda Murray