NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
psam ordener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 15:28:21 -0800
Jill wrote:
I guess my questions now is what should I expect from this doctor
visit? How do they test toddler's for allergies (blood test? scratch
test?)

What information should I bring along with me?
===========================
My son was tested at 2 years with the scratch tests - all over his
back, and he was so good - he didn't cry - just complained when the
milk and histamine spots itched and I wouldn't scratch them! (This
was almost 8 years ago)

What to take with you:  any definited information about allergy that
you have (i.e., every time he takes milk into his mouth his face
swells up).  Be as specific as you can about symptoms, connection to
particular foods or substances, how long it takes to develop, etc.
Don't be surprised if s/he doesn't believe you right away!  After all
most foods are combinations of substances and the one you suspect may
not be the actual culprit, after testing.

Take notes.  If s/he gives you any recommendations for treatments,
medications to give at particular times or in response to certain
symptoms, write it down.  Before you leave, have the allergist read
your notes and initial them after making any necessary changes.  Then
you know that you're both on the same page!  Also, with a wigglly
toddler in tow, it's hard to remember every thing that was said . . .
later, when you need to remember, it's too late.

psam