RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 11:15:44 -0700
From:
Sheila Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Stefan:
>>The younger they were, when they turned to raw food, the earlier
>>they made their observations. One 22 years old woman reported, that
>>her menstruation disappeared after only two months on raw. Elder
>>women mostly say, that the menstruation disappeared for some months,
>>then came back and stayed, but without PMS and with much less
>>bleeding. One elder woman reports, that her body slided into the
>>menopause without all of the ill effects, that are said to occur nor-
>>mally. It was a smooth, pleasant change.

>I have discussed Melisa's menses previously and won't do it again--and also
>posted an article about "raw menstruation" which should be in the
>archives...

>But while we were at the Chateau there was a woman in her early twenties
>who said that she lost her mestruation after a couple months raw,

HI,
My experience with menstruation and menopause have been skewed by
constipation since infancy and anorexia at 17 and bulimia at 26, the latter
behaviors not ending until last year when I was 52 yrs old. I began raw
eating and interest in 1974 and spent time at Hippocrates in Boston in 1975.
My original period came at 14 years, with moderate to one major cramping
maybe every other month. I lost my period with anorexia and bulimia. When I
began to recover in the mid 80's, I regained my period occasionally and
very slightly and with no cramping. When I began to experience menopause I
remember bleeding once lightly for 3 weeks. It didn't bother me - it was
more of an anomoly given all my other experiences. In menopause I had night
sweats and hot flashes. Much of the time I didn't even know it was
menopause-related because I was earning a BFA in Dance at U of AZ and
everybody was sweating and panting from the hard work and hot studios. When
I realized what it was, I took Ginseng, Dong Quai, and Chaste Berries and
it went away.
Since 1974 my diet has probably been 70 to 95% raw consistently.
I believe the trauma assoc with constipation in infancy effected me
emotionally and the emotional and physical toxicity cut down on my being a
'woman' or 'female' from an endocrine point of view. Then I added the
anorexia and bulimia to it and that diminished body fat. I am not a
straighforward example of the effects of living foods on periods because of
my background yet I intuitively feel that it diminished the periods and
pain when I did have small ones.
Hope this is some value in the variations among the women.
Sincerely,

Kind Regards,
Sheila Shea
http://www.sheilas.com