Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Buji Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 14:33:27 -0800
Honey as a wound treatment is at least 1000 years old, and probably even
goes to Roman times. Sugar works the same way.The high concentration of
sugar creates a high osmotic pressure, and tends to cause lysis, or
destruction of the cell walls of the bacteria, by pulling out the moisture
from inside the cell. I had a Labrador retriever who was very badly burned
all over his back, by being caught under a car muffler. While on antibiotics
from the vet, he developed an overgrowth of pseudomonas, which makes a
sickly looking green slime, and a nasty sweet smell. We read about the
ancient battle surgeons using honey, so we covered him in sugar. Every
morning and evening we debrided the wound carefully, to remove whatever dead
junk we could, and re-applied the sugar.

He eventually recovered completely. The vet told us he had never seen
anything like it, that he had thought  that our dog Finn was a goner. He
attributed it to painstaking care, but I have seen burn victims die with
good care, so I feel at least some of the credit goes to the sugar.

Michael