Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Buji Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 09:30:39 -0800
Grant,

You mention that your cholesterol is high normal, but unless I missed it you
did not give HDL LDL breakdown. You do state that your TGL/HDL ratio, while
still very good, has degraded somewhat from earlier.

Since this is a ratio, relatively small negative movements in the two
components would appear amplified in the ratio. Also, if the triglycerides
are higher, this is often thought of as a feature of poor carbohydrate
metabolism, so maybe the carrot juice would not be the best thing.

A key unanswered question, for anyone with high LDL, is how important is
that, relative to other things, like glycemic control, or triglyceride/HDL
ratios. My reading of the literature is that one doesn't really know. Sally
Eng states flat out that it doesn't matter what your cholesterol is. Most of
us would like it to be low, all other things being equal. Unfortunately,(or
interestingly), they rarely are. It seems to be that in your case, you have
clear clinical (as opposed to chemical marker), evidence that you are in
much better shape post low carb than prior to it.

My wife switched to low carb for weight loss, and
along the way she also lost a number of pesky health problems of many years
standing, irritable bowel for one. But she also has seen some climb in her
LDL cholesterol, as well as HDL. Her Doc concentrates on the LDL, but is
that correct emphasis, or do improved or at least stable ratios trump an
increase LDL?

Michael