Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 17:51:34 -0900
Some tidbits related to the idea of aged meat:

Those of you making pemmican might want to taste the jerked strips of meat
before powdering them for pemmican. What you would be tasting is raw aged
meat (assuming your dehydrating method was room temperature). I much prefer
fatty jerky to pemmican. Jerky won't keep for years, but it will keep for
weeks in the fridge...brisket usually has some nice surface fat for jerky.

 It seems that one day at room temp is about equivilant to a week (or
longer) at 36 degrees or so. Aging meat/seafood increases the tenderness
dramatically. Thats good when you find pastured meats which are not much
marbled and can be tough when fresh. With some serious aging they become as
tender as heavily-marbled grain-fed prime meat. BTW, part of the attraction
to "certified Angus beef" is that it is usually aged for a month or so
before sale. I found in CA it was hard to find any butcher who aged more
than a couple weeks.

Lastly and leastly, the strange-bird "father of instincto", Guy-Claude
Burger now argues that any more than 5-10% animal foods will cause
problems. (I think those guys would do better on 5-10% fruit instead of
over 50% fruit.) But it seems there is a new "trend" among a few of us
raw-fooders (former and present) to a low-carb raw diet with plenty of
animal foods. All it needs is a new name. "Instincto" is too tainted by
Burger. If a vegan eats only plant foods; if a fruitarian eats only fruit;
if a carnivore eats mostly meat; if an instincto eats all-raw and unmixed;
if a paleo-dieters eats no dairy or grains--what are we gonna call the
mostly (or all) raw folks eating lots of animal foods? Any ideas for a new
moniker? ;)

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft