Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:30:18 -0800

Dear listmates,
        This summary is L-O-N-G overdue!  I received MANY replies to this
inquiry.  So, to sum it up...

4 people felt that the muffin top pans were too thin, and felt that english
muffin rings or tuna fish cans worked better.  One suggested cutting the
tuna can in half.

Others suggested these methods:

I have never used a muffin top pan, but I have seen a suggestion to bake in
Texas size muffin pans using them about 1/2 full for hamburger buns.
****************
...what I do is use aluminum foil...fold it a few times and then form
into a circle...viola..a hamburger mold...it works fine too

One is still experiementing with different recipes and solutions... I hope
she posts her successful ones! :)

And several people liked them for these reasons:

I have the muffin to pans w/ non stick coating & really like them.  I use mine
mostly for quickbreads--they are slightly larger than cupcakes tins & are also
easier to pack in lunches & don't break as easily.  Celiac friends also have
them & use them for rolls.  You have to be carefully that you don't fill them
too full, because you will have too much bread in your rolls. I had seen some
at an upscale department store which were about $12 / pan, but I got a
different brand at K-Mart for less & they cost less & work well.
*****************
I use the muffin topper pans for hamburger buns using Bette Hagmans Rapid
Rise French Bread recipe from her second book.  I had tried using the muffin
rings I bought in a specialty shops and found these very hard to use.
*****************
I have them and I love them.  I use them (surprise) for muffins--they
wind up with a wonderful crust.  Julia Child used another method (depending
on your batter).  I don't know which recipe you're using, but if it is a
fairly stiff batter, you can use English Muffin rings.  You cut the top and
bottoms off either tuna fish cans or cat food cats, wash well, and grease
well.  If the
batter is "loose", and it must be contained, then the muffin top pans
will work well.  You can make muffins and use them for "sandwiches".
*****************
I got one of the muffin pans and they work like a charm.  I kept waiting for
them to go on sale but finally splurged and am quite satisfied.
*****************
they work great for all gf baking.  i bought mine at a tjmaxx store at a
discounted price and it was worth the price.  muffins and all bread recipes
turn out great in a perfect size for all purposes.  Best of all they get
done on the inside.
*****************
I have been using these pans for hamburger buns for over a year and find
that they work very well.  One recipe of bread dough (either Our
Favorite or Farmhouse Buttermilk from the Red Star yeast gluten free
recipes for bread machines) makes 11 buns of a reasonable thickness.
After they rise to about double I bake them about 25 minutes at 375
degrees. To bake both pans at the same time, I put one pan on the middle
rack and one on the next rack level down, bake 15 minutes, and then
reverse the pans for the last 10 minutes. Sure hope this helps. And I do
agree about the price being excessive.
****************
...we use a muffin top baking pan to make hamburger buns.  We just use
our favorite bread recipe and keep an eye on them in the oven.  It works great.
****************
We used the muffin-top pans to bake sandwich buns, and we call them hockey puck
bread.  WE used a tapioca, white rice flour bread recipe to make the
sandwich/hamburger buns.  They taste really good.  The texture is quite
different from that of regular bread, but I would have to say that the taste of
the hockey puck bread is better than that of regular bread.   they keep well in
the freezer also.

*(and yes, I have requested the recipe for Hocky Puck Bread... ;)

Again thanks to all of you for kind replies and help,

Lynda Swink
\*/ Mailto:[log in to unmask] \*/ Southern California \*/\*/ _@v