Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 14:49:52 -0500

There have often been discussions on this list that Gluten Free baked goods
are much more "calorie dense" than equivalent ones made with wheat flour.

I've done a fair bit of research and work in baking for Celiacs as my wife
is a celiac who also has severe food sensitivities of other types.  I
believe that gluten free baked _can_ be more calorie dense but don't have
to be.  Here are my suggestions:

If you are allergic to eggs or wish to cut down on the saturated fats,
substitute 2 ounces of milk (1/4 US cup) and the equivalent _VOLUME_ (4 US
tablespoons - 60 cc's, 60 ml) of non fat dry powdered milk.  According to
my calcuations, this yields the equivalent protein of an egg white - so it
gives some "sticky" as egg whites do without the egg.

Cook by _weight_.  Four ounces of wheat flour by weight is approximately
one US cup - the familiar cup measures for baking.  If you use the Bette
Hagman flour mixture, but go by _weight_ rather than volume you will find
that your baked goods have the same number of carbohydrate grams in them as
the equivalent gluten-filled baked goods - 1 gram of carbohydrate has 4
calories, no matter what.  I find that when I learned to bake, I learned
using a UK cookbook (Delia Smith's Illustrated Cookery Course, for the UK
members of the list) so I bought a scale, and seldom now go back to cooking
with cup measures.  Weight is, simply, easier.

Use skimmed milk instead of whole.

As an aside, I find that Ms. Hagman's recipes are very good but that she
uses much more Xanthan gum than needed.  I find that I use no more than 1/4
US teaspoon of Xanthan gum per four ounces (by weight) of her flour.

Hope these suggestions help.

Nathan Justus