From:
Perenpros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 00:24:23 EST

At last count I have gotten over thirty responses to my osteoporosis inquiry.
The similarities in the posts were so striking that it is very easy to
summarize:

1. A large number of premenopausal women who, like me, were diagnosed with
celiac as an adult had osteoporosis or substantial bone loss not yet being
labelled osteoporosis.

This group of women was universally taking between 1000- 1500mg of calcium a
day and 400mg of vitamin D.  Bone building exercises were also recommended.
Many of these women found that they were able to rebuild their bones and it
was heart warming and encouraging to read all their letters.  I regret I do
not have time to respond to all of you personally.

 Of the many posts I have read recently where people are looking for others
with related diease and symptoms, this was the first one I have seen where the
relationship between malabsorption and the secondary problem, osteoporosis,
was apparent.  Large amounts of calium products ingested before going gluten
free did not seem to help.  Many were life long milk drinkers.  Based on my
experience and theirs, I, note this is only my recommendation, I would
strongly recommend that any women diagnosed with celiac as an  adult should
talk to your internist or other dr. about getting a bone density test,
DEXASCAN. This is a painless  and quick xray type procedure.

2.  More serious, were the women who were diagnosed post menopausally,  these
women were taking either Premarin or Fosamax and were having a more difficult
time.

3.   Other responses included, one woman who stated that she was taking BORON
with her calcium supplements and it had worked wonders.

4. One gentleman suggested that celiacs should ingest magnesium rather than
calcium to build bone. Also recommended folowing the paleo diet.

5. One writer suggested that since celiac was an immune disease, celiacs
should be treated by immuniologists.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to write and offer encouragement.  Diane
Smith