From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 01:13:08 -0800

For the past few weeks, as I've begun my new GF existence, I have
lived off brown rice and the most boring grilled meats and vegetables
imaginable - my digestive system is in terrible shape after years of
ingesting gluten. Now that I'm feeling slightly better, I have begun a
tentative and exploratory expedition into what might be termed gourmet
GF cooking. A few cooking questions for the LISTSERVE experts :

1- Is Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce GF? Not just the classic, but
the white wine version (delicious) as well?

2- I adore Thai and Vietnamese food, but am only too aware that most
Thai curry pastes and the indispensable fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam
pla) contain gluten. Does anybody know of a reliable GF brand?

3- As to beef and chicken stock, yes, I know, homemade is best, and
when I recover my pre-celiac energy and joie de vivre, I'll certainly
get around to it. Right now it is a time-consuming bore. I have found
an EXCELLENT line of frozen, concentrated GF stocks (beef, veal,
chicken and fish). They are made by Perfect Additions and can be found
in the frozen foods section of most supermarkets. But they are quite
expensive, and I would like to know what canned or powdered items are
GF.
    I would be delighted to summarize any messages sent to me.
                             Thanks to all,
                                Mary in NYC