RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
RICHARD BOETTNER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:13:27 EDT
im sending this to you to see what people would like to add in advice for
this person

my suggestion was to start the girl on carrot (6-8) & apple juice (1) to
give her as much vitamin A (and others & minerals)

anyone have any ideas?

==========
> Skin that is particularly sensitive to sunlight is often an early
> indicator of niacin deficiency.  If this is the case, niacin should
> be given in small doses, and gradually increase.  Niacin can have
> an itchy flushing feeling if taken too much at a time.  Only a
> lab can decide from tests if niacin is low, or one would have to make
> a list of everything she eats and drinks every day (a diary of sorts)
> and at the end of a week, or two weeks, review the list, and see how
> many things, and how much niacin is being taken on a daily average.
>
> If she has enough niacin intake, there are sometimes other factors
> (prescription and OTC drugs), that can cause it as well, and others
> can deplete niacin from the body.
>
> On the other side, I've read that St. John's Wart can cause some
> people to be sensitive to sunlight.
>
> It's always better to find the cause, and to treat the cause, than
> to use something to treat the symptoms, or worse yet, mask the
> symptoms.

Hi, Gary.

I very much appreciate your input.  The girl I refer to has been to many
allopathic
and alternative practicioners  without getting more knowledge about her
condition,
or relief for it (I was surprised that homeopathy wasn't helpful).

With regard to causes, her mother tells me that 1) the severe sun allergy
is
genetic: many  of the girl's first- and second-cousins suffer from it;
and 2) as a
small child, she had been severely sunburnt a few times.In the light of
what we now
know of the damage caused to skin tissue by sunburn, even sunburn
sustained many
years previously, there is cause for concern about her future health. Her
mother
adds that she uses no remedy except conventional sunblocks.

I'm passing on the information re niacin to them, and hope that they use
it.  If
you're interested in hearing of any results, I'll let you know (it's
always nice to
get good feedback!).

Miriam