From:
Dick Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 06:22:07 -0500
Karl McKinnon wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Ed Evans wrote:

>> I was going to ask about canned tuna.  It should qualify as palio,
>> right?  Except for the can.

> The ONLY brand you can eat is Starkist "Naturally Low Salt/Low
> Sodium" or something like that.  There is also a brand by Bumble Bee,
> and Health Food stores may have others.  If it says "vegitable broth"
> assume it's corn.  All that "in spring water" stuff may not have soy
> oil but it does have hydrogenated soy protien.
>
> Ethnic Italian places might have the legendary imported-in-olive-oil
> stuff.  Soy is ten times cheeper than olive oil so olive oil is a
> "gourmet" treat for us.

not 'ONLY'.

'Deep Sea' brand 'packed in artesian water' product of Thailand,
imported by Santini Food Inc, San Lorenzo Cal 94580, barcode
95684 88884.  Ingredients; light tongol tuna, artesian water.  29 mg
sodium / 'serving'; 3.3 'servings' per container.  Most commercial
canned tuna runs ~100 mg sodium per 'serving'; they add much NaCl.
This 'Deep Sea' tuna is marvelously unoffensive; tastes like real
tuna.  Sold by several 'health food' and 'natural food' stores.
Generally competitive price compared to most commercial brands.  Be
sure to specify no salt water pack.  Fishing methods for tongol tuna
apparently don't trash dolphins.

I suppose this tuna is a reasonable approach to paleolithic type
food.

I reckon I compromise authentic paleolicity on eating the stuff: I
run in a substantial amount of mayonnaise as I don't overmuch care
for dry tuna.  But mayonnaise being mostly oil & egg I suppose it's
also somewhat resemblant of paleolithic food although the oil is
likely some modern mess derived from corn or so.  :( I spice my tuna
mess with onion, garlic, pepper, thyme and dill.  Perhaps paleofolk
were into spice and herbs in some areas.

One could mix in olive oil instead of mayonnaise.  Perhaps flax seed
oil would be attractive other than its price.

Always read and understand all the fine print on product labels.  !

Dick
http://smith.syr.edu/~ddawson