From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 12:45:03 -0400
> I don't want to alarm anyone, but night sweats can be a sign of illness.
> If this is a new symptom for you, and you haven't been feeling well, or
> you've lost a lot of weight without really trying, you ought to get
> cheked out.  If you've done it all your life, I wouldn't worry about it,
> but night sweats are among the sypmtoms you shouldn't just shrug off.
>
> Caroline, MD

Hi, this is Jean-Louis, from the raw-food list. I have been lurking here for a
few weeks, and I don't intend to post more than occasional messages, but the
paleo perspective interests me. I have been eating raw and "instinctively" for
almost one year. I recently increased my meat consumption and reduced fruit, but
as it's hard to eat meat (or fish or eggs) at every meal, I occasionally
"replace" it with raw cheese, which is admittedly not very paleo nor instincto,
but satisfies me more than eating cooked meat.

As for "being hot", it is a well-known fact than meat has a warming effect. In
fact, any meal high in protein (that comes from an animal or vegetal source) can
increase the metabolism by 30% for hours (depending of course on the size of the
meal). BTW, it may be one of the reasons why eating a lot of proteins
contributes to weight loss (besides the hormonal effects): more calories are
burnt.

Maybe cooked meat increases the metabolism more than raw meat (see Kirt's psot
on the subject). I couldn't tell from my experience, since it's been a long time
since I ate cooked meat. FWIW, despite increasing considerably my (raw) protein
intake, I felt there was a slight warming effect, but not so much that it could
cause any discomfort (and I don't have night sweats).

Best,

Jean-Louis