RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 1997 07:47:36 -0700
Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>:
>It was pointed out to me (Tom, was it?) that the "chetday" website is a
>good place for a beginner like myself.  I took the advice and read most of
>the articles it offers.  They were indeed very, very informative and I am
>greatful for your giving me the opportunity to see them.  Thank you.

Tom:
Thank you for the feedback. Your comments remind me that, since new people
are trying raw all the time, I should write a standard post, that highlights
the material that new people should read. By highlight, I mean simply
informing others of where to find the material. It would be also be a good
article for the SF-LiFE newsletter.

Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>:
>eating habits.  In particular, I would like to find out whether any of
>you agree or follow the recipe for the "V-3 cereal" shown in one of the
>articles on the above website.  I understand it is one of a hundred or so
>possible combinations or mixtures that one can obtain with sprouts, as I
>don't see any particular logic to the selection of this recipe's ingredients.
>Still, is the idea right? - combining many sprouts at once will supply a
>good amount of nutrients and energy?

>The author of that particular recipe also stated that the grains need
>only be soaked over the night and she doesn't quite get them to sprout
>afterwards.  I don't suppose this yields a better food than a day or so
>of sprouting would produce?

Tom:
I don't follow that particular recipe - which, if I recall, is for a raw
cereal similar to muesli. However, I know people who eat such cereals, and
they report good results from it. So, you can try it and see if you like it.

Sprouts can be eaten short (when they are a pre-digested grain/starch food),
or grown long and greened (when they are baby vegetables, a sort of lettuce
alternative). I would suggest including short sprouts in your diet (short =
growing root is about the length of the soaked seed). In my experience, they
are important (but not absolutely necessary) in a raw vegan diet. It is easier
to succeed without them if one has a raw, non-vegan diet. Short sprouts are
very filling food, and help reduce cravings, which can be a serious problem
for raw fooders.

You can eat the sprouts singly, on in combinations - your choice.
Someone posted recently with concerns re: low weight; I recall that
Viktoras now advocates eating grain/seed sprouts in combinations, and
making that the basis of your diet. (See his interview in the archives -
Spring 96 sometime). Viktoras claims that eating combinations of sprouts
will promote normal body weight, alleviating the emaciation common in raw.

You might want to experiment with adding very small amounts of spice seeds
to your sprout mixes (add at soaking stage, let sprout with grain/seed). The
seeds in question are: fennel, coriander, cumin, mustard, and others. (Can
also use cardamom or caraway - careful - extremely strong flavor.) Adding
spice seeds is one way to overcome the monotony of plain sprouts. Used
correctly, they can also enhance the digestion of the sprouts. One can make
different sauces for the sprouts; another way to avoid monotony when eating
plain sprouts. (Dorleen Tong, the head of SF-LiFE, has done workshops on
sauces. When she returns from her travels (this Fall), I will ask her if
she would share her recipes with us.)

Sprouts are versatile foods, especially short sprouts. The sweeter short
sprouts - buckwheat, sesame, almonds - make great breakfast foods, especially
when sprouted with fennel seeds. You can make 1-bowl meals with grain/seed
sprouts - add vegetables (cilantro, celery, fennel bulb), a bit of turmeric,
and some chopped avocado. That makes a very nice meal. Some people make
raw hummus and falafel, using short sprouts. Check out the raw recipe books
for some great ideas on how to use short sprouts. Long, greened sprouts are
most often eaten in salads, or juiced and used in green drinks.

Yes, you can simply soak grain/seeds overnight, then eat them. This is the
preferred method for those few types of seeds that are prone to spoilage
(lotus seeds, for example), and for mucilaginous seeds like flax. However,
I suggest sprouting whenever possible as the food then is more "alive"
or "awake". If you have very little time, soaking is an alternative to
consider.

Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>:
>I would appreciate your input on this.  Being new, I'm not exactly sure
>just how important a role sprouting should play in my diet.

Tom:
Some raw vegans get by without sprouts, but many of them have serious problems
with cravings and binge eating. My experience and observation is that short
sprouts, being a slowly assimilated raw food, help  reduce/prevent such
problems. Because of that, I recommend that raw vegans include short sprouts
in their diet, and avoid eating too much of high sugar foods (like fruit), as
sugar promotes cravings and binges.

Regards,
Tom Billings