From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 23:23:55 -0500
Bill Wilcox wrote:

>Sorry Don.  Dextrin is corn sugar.  Malto-dextrin is a sugar formed formed by
>the diastatic hydrolysis (starch conversion) of malt starch, which is from
>malted barley.  The only reason I know this is because I have home-brewed
beer
>for 7 years.

Sorry Bill, but your information source is not correct. Maltodextrin is not
made with barley in the US. This has been discussed *many* times on the
celiac mailing list. The word malt has to do with softening a grain by
steeping in water. It need have nothing to do with barley.

An example of a post to the list:

>>> Posting number 11796, dated 21 May 1997 23:50:02

Dextrin is an incompletely hydrolyzed starch.  It is prepared by dry
heating corn, waxy maize, waxy milo, potato, arrowroot, WHEAT, rice,
tapioca, or sago starches, or by dry heating the starches after:  (1)
Treatment with safe and suitable alkalis, acids, or pH control agents
and (2) drying the acid or alkali treated starch.<1> Therefore, unless
you know the source, you must avoid dextrin.

Maltodextrin is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by
partial hydrolysis of corn starch or potato starch with safe and
suitable acids and enzymes.<2>  Maltodextrin, when listed on food sold
in the USA, must be (per FDA regulation) made from corn or potato.
This rule does NOT apply to vitamin or mineral supplements and
medications.<3>

Also, Donald Kasarda Ph.D., a research chemist specializing on grain
proteins, of the United States Department of Agriculture, has been in
contact with the companies that manufacture maltodextrins.  He found
that all maltodextrins in the USA are made from corn starch, using
enzymes that are NOT derived from wheat, rye, barley, or oats.  On
that basis he believes that celiacs need not be too concerned about
maltodextrins, though he cautions that there is no guarantee that a
manufacturer won't change their process to use wheat starch or a
gluten-based enzyme in the future.<4>