From:
Kent Multer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 12:43:26 -0600
>Please, I need some hope, don't tell me his brain is ruined forever. I know
>some stroke patients have come back a long way!

This is way out of my area of expertise, but from what I've read, the brain
has a tremendous ability to adapt to injuries and recover from damage.
Neurons continue to grow additional connections, and other types of cells
actually reproduce and increase in number, throughout a person's life.

There is some evidence that the ability to learn language decreases
somewhat around age 5 -- this is based on observing kids' ability to learn
foreign langauges at various ages.  But if he's doing better now, I'd say
he has a bright future.  I hope you aren't beating yourself up with guilt
or anything :^?

By the way, HELLO everyone!  I just joined the list.  I read NEANDERTHIN a
few months ago, and am gradually transitioning over to "Caveman Kosher."
Some of my friends are, too; one guy lost 55 lbs. in two months.